Matt turned 30 this month and it makes me laugh to see how boring our adult parties have become now that we have kids. I guess part of it is we haven’t made a huge group of friends down here yet and family is still a long drive/flight away. But, Megan and Ryan came down the weekend before Matt’s birthday to meet Lydia so we decided to “celebrate” with them. Megan brought down the birthday cake so we sang, opened a couple gifts and ate the most delicious cake you can ever imagine. After this weekend, Matt flew to Seattle for a long weekend of Sounder’s soccer and time with our friends. He had a blast and as jealous as I am that he got to see everyone, I am so glad he had a great time and got to recharge his batteries. And since we had to take him all the way to the Raleigh airport anyway, the kids and I just had to go down to FL for the week. You know, so I don’t have to actually parent my kids all by myself :). We visited Sea World again and saw some new exhibits, swam, went to Mia’s soccer practices and games, and swam some more. (I will post those pictures later).
I think Matt was a little panicked about turning 30. It is a big milestone, half way to retirement. Sometimes panic can give you tunnel vision for a minute and you forget how lucky you are. Because man, are we lucky. I am so lucky to have this guy as a husband, I honestly cannot imagine this life without him. This past year has been the best one yet. He and the boys have really bonded, they get each other and really enjoy being all together. When you have twins, you forget that they have each other so they don’t have to be as attached to the parents. But recently, its all about daddy. And daddy lives up to the hype. The minute he walks in the door from work, its all about us. He grabs Lydia, rounds up the boys and somehow finds a way to give me a few minutes to make dinner in peace. Then after dinner, we split off, I take Lydia, he takes the boys and we reconvene with clean, fed, ready-for-bed kids. Books, kisses, warnings of what will happen if someone is caught in someone else’s bed...and then lights out. Then we have about an hour before I am asleep. Its not much but its good. Soon we will get back to date nights and babysitters but for now, we just sit down together and we laugh at the craziness of my day. He soaks it all in, I know he aches to be home more than he is. He is an amazing dad and husband and I NEVER tell him that enough (even though he is always complimenting me). So, in my eyes, he has accomplished a lot these past 30 years. Sure, the 1st couple were small feats like not wetting the bed, tying shoes and counting to 10 but now...its encouraging someone else not to wet the bed, tying and retying shoes that never stop moving and trying to find a way to remind them that 8 comes after 7 and you don’t have to shout the number 10. I love him more at 30 than I did at 29...and I loved him a lot at 29:) Here's to our 30s!
| This might be the best picture we have ever taken. But, yeah, the cake is that good. |
| We miss these guys!!! |

No comments:
Post a Comment