Friday, March 30, 2012

Sweetness in the shape of a girl...

Life has been pretty good these past two weeks. We brought Ms. Lydia Jane home on march 17 to her 2 very anxious brothers, my mom and Matt's parents. It was so good to be home.

Her entrance:
My water broke around 3:45am on the morning of the 15th. I called my midwife and she suggested getting rest until my contractions really kicked in and then coming in around 7am. I laid back down but realized going back to sleep was not an option. I got up, showered, hopped on my exercise ball and started skyping with Ryen, it was 10pm for him and he was just getting ready to go to sleep. We talked for a couple hours until I realized that I actually had to stop typing during a contraction. I woke up Matt, my mom got up and we left for the hospital around 6:30am. At this point, my contractions were coming pretty fast and pretty strong. We checked in, met our midwife and wonderful L&D nurse and got the ball rolling. I got my epidural a couple hours later and was able to rest until it was time to push, around 3:30pm. Lydia came out screaming mad with a beautiful head full of hair at 5:22pm and was perfect in every way. They laid her on my chest, Matt cut the cord and we got some bonding time before they cleaned her up. She stayed in the room the whole time with me and for the 1st time, I got to see everything that they do. They handed her back to me and I got to start nursing her for about 2 min before I passed out. It was a little traumatic but I had just had a little more blood loss that normal so I needed to take it a little slower. Matt got to spend some time holding her and studying her, he is actually the one who picked out her name. Lydia is the name of my great aunt. My mom and i had come across her a couple months ago, while looking through a scrapbook my grandmother had put together about her family. According to my mom, her Aunt Lydia was a pretty cool lady and when I took the name home to Matt, he liked it too. Jane was my mother's middle name and is a Hebrew name meaning "God is gracious".

Matt was an amazing coach. I honestly thought that he would be the one passing out, not me. But, he was so wonderful and coupled with an amazing nurse and mid-wife, it was the best birthing team a mom could ask for. I am so glad to have been able to v-back successfully. My c-section with the boys and just giving birth to twins in general, was so overwhelming. Everything was such a challenge with 2 newborns at once, we spent much of that 1st year in a fog. But now, I get to know what it's like with one and it's such a gift.

The boys adore her. Alex loves to hold her and pet her hair and gets especially excited when she opens her eyes. Evan loves to look at her and give her hugs and kisses but isn't too concerned with actually holding her. He is still my little snuggler and loves to just come and hang out with me in bed while I nurse Lydia.

My mom's timing could not have been better. She flew in the Tuesday before I went into labor so I got to hang out with her and the boys for a while. She just took everything in stride and picked up where I left off. Having her here has been amazing. Not only has she given the boys the feeling of stability and consistency, she has allowed me to enjoy these early quiet moments with my new daughter. I have been able to recover and get the hang of breastfeeding without any stress. I know that the boys are getting snuggled and loved on as well as consistant discipline and you can tell by all the giggling that they are hardly phased by this new creature in their lives. We are lucky to have no regression in the potty training area and I think that since my mom has been here, they have grown up so much more. Matt has been going back to work and will actually take off next week after my mom leaves so we can slowly transition back into the 2-parent household we once were. Matt and I are both completely petrified of this but I know we will survive. Either that or we will be moving into my parents garage. My dad flew down with Mia a week ago and got to meet Lydia before going back home. Mia has been such a big help with the boys. She is so capable, helping them wash their hands, get their shoes on, play movies or entertain them outside. Too bad she has to go back to school, I would keep her:)

Lydia is such a wonderful baby. She hardly ever cries and is really patient and relaxed. I know Matt is anxious to take some time off work and spend it with her one-on-one. He is already quite smitten and I can foresee her keeping him wrapped around her finger for a very long time.

I am trying to enjoy these last few days with all the extra help rather than fret about how I am going to handle it all once everyone goes back to their homes and work. I do miss my boys though. I miss eating breakfast with them and being the one to get them up from their nap. My mom has slipped in so seamlessly, they don't even seem to notice the difference. We might not be so lucky once I take back over. We will see!

Thanks so much for all the emails! I wish I could respond to Everyone but know that every little message is appreciated! With Matt being home next week, we will have more pictures of our little girl to share. He is the photographer and so good about getting the pics loaded on the computer.

We are enjoying this beautiful weather as much as possible before summer hits. Hope you are too!














No comments: