Friday, November 19, 2010

The Husband


I sort of have a one-track blog.  I talk so much about the boys in my life, I often leave out the man.

Today, 5 years ago, many of you watched my father walk me down the isle.  The man, who watched me come into this world and who stood steady as I ran to and from him through the daddy's-little-girl phase, the teenage years and back again, was walking with me one last time in our simple, uncomplicated father/daughter relationship.  He walked me down to my soon to be husband...we were so young and blissful.  Sometimes I think, man, we hardly knew each other.  But, at that moment, I knew all I needed to know.  He knew about God, he trusted and loved me, he had a supportive family and he had all the tools he needed to be the husband, father and friend that I needed for life.  

There is no way to know, at 23 years old, who you will be 5 years later.  It has gone by in a flash yet so much has happened.

My husband has been handed a lot.  Deployments, missed holidays, 100 hour work weeks, a cross country move, twins, fatherhood.  We rejoice in every one of those things.  They have taught us to love each other in a new way, how to handle change with grace, how to steal away moments together that life isn't handing out freely, and to be gentle in our disagreements.

On November 19, 2005, I married a great guy.  This 5th year of our marriage, he has stepped it up. I made a promise to him in front of all of you that day...and now I want to thank him, in front of all of you, today. 










Matthew, you have taken our marriage to a new level this year.  You have surprised me in so many ways. I am so happy to be married to you.

No comments: